Wednesday, January 28, 2009

how can you even say that?

Last week at school we were having a discussion in one of my classes about the influence religion has had on and in literature. We were specifically looking at a play that the Catholic church had banned from being performed in the 18th century because it was interpreted as being blasphemous. The point of the lecture was that the church was so involved in monitoring everyone and everything at this period in time it was rare that anything non-secular be published. Things then somehow shifted onto the subject of Jesus. And here's where things go sour for me.

The rest of the story isn't very good because I don't remember how the conversation went leading up to this..but next thing I know one of my classmates is saying something about how "in the Bible Jesus was also portrayed as a selfish person at times." She said "He was caring and loved other people, but ultimately like all others he had to look out for number one (himself) first, like everyone else has to." My first reaction upon hearing this was..how can you even say that?? That's the most proposterous thing I've ever heard?! Of course I said these things inside my head but I seriously was shocked. I really am a horrible story teller because I honestly can't remember how that even related to our discussion, I think because I was so taken aback by her words..I have never heard another human say anything like that before.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since then either. At first I was shocked and thought, clearly you haven't read the Bible because if you HAVE..then you would know Jesus is anything BUT selfish. He would have been the first person to give anyone in need the shirt off his back, his shoes, food, anything. Jesus Christ was without a doubt the most self-LESS man that has or will ever live. After I've now had time to think about it longer it's actually just made me sad for this classmate of mine. I don't know her at all or anything about her, but I don't want that to be her only perception of Jesus.

I'm trying to find a new church to go to that I really love and can call my own. I really want to get involved in a small group or something too. I'm serious and determined to get plugged in somewhere. This task is kind of daunting/scary/difficult for me because none and I mean none of my friends go to church wellll except one...so it's just basically me on my own. :/
Someone please wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment